PGIMER 2012 Details
PGIMER Chandigarh - Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh conducts all India Entrance Exams for admission into different medical courses and allied disciplines.Besides conducting written, the institute also conducts interviews for admission, though admission criteria varies depending upon number of applicants per course.
PGIMER Chandigarh is one of the institute of national importance in medical education and patient care known for its ground breaking research and excellent healthcare services.
The institute was conceived in 1960 as a centre of excellence, which would endeavour to develop patterns of teaching in postgraduate medical education in as many branches as possible and attempt to produce specialists in several disciplines of medicine.
The Institute owes its inception to the farsightedness of Sardar Partap Singh Kairon, the then Chief Minister of Punjab (1960) and the distinguished medical educationists of the then combined State of Punjab supported by the first Prime Minister of India, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru who considered the institutions of scientific knowledge as temples of learning and the places of pilgrimage.
Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru inaugurated the Nehru Hospital attached to the Institute on July 7, 1963. The hospital is providing tertiary care services in all the medical and surgical specialties.The Institute is located in Chandigarh, encompassing an area of 277 acres.
PGIMER 2012 Tentative Dates
- Last Date of availability of Prospectus: By third week of March 2012
- Last Date of issue of application forms by post: By first April, 2012
- Last Date of downloading prospectus cum application form : By second week of March 2012
- Date of MD/MS Examination: By 4th week of May 2012
- Date of MDS : By first week of June 2012
- Date of DM/Mch/ MHA: By first week of June 2012
- Date of MPH/MSC MLT : By fourth week of June 2012
PGIMER 2012 Application Procedure
There are two ways for applying for PGIMER 2012 including online way and offline way.
- Applicants are required to visit the official website of PGI at www.pgimer.nic.in and download the form. Candidate should completely fill the downloaded form and send it along with DD of Rs 500 (Rs 400 for ST/SC candidates) for prescribed application fees and examination fees.
- The Demand Draft should be drawn in favour of Director, PGI, payable at Chandigarh. Applicant should mention his/her name, phone number and address on the back of DD.
- Applicants can purchase the admission form from the university office by making payment of Rs 500 (Rs 400 for ST/SC candidates) in cash. Applicant should send in the completely filled application forms and other documents at the address mentioned in the prospectus.
- Applicants can also obtain the form by post by sending a request letter, self addressed envelope( 24×15 cm with Rs 30 postage stamp) along with DD of Rs 500 (Rs 400 for ST/SC candidates) for prescribed application fees. The Demand Draft should be drawn from any ABI Branch in favour of Director, PGI, payable at Chandigarh. Applicant should mention his/her name, phone number and address on the back of DD.
PGIMER 2012 Admission Procedure
The entrance examination is held in December for the January session and in the June for July session.
MD/MS Courses : Candidates are assessed at a formal entrance-test on the basis of a suitably designed Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) type theory paper. For candidates appearing for MD/MS entrance examination, the theory paper consists of 250 questions pertaining to subjects studied during the MBBS course viz. Medicine and Surgery (36 questions each), Obstetrics and Gynaecology (18 questions), Paediatrics, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedic Surgery, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, ENT and Applied Biochemistry (12 questions each), and six questions each in Anatomy, Forensic Medicine, Dermatology, Anaesthesia, Physiology, Psychiatry, Social & Preventive Medicine, Radio diagnosis and Radiotherapy. The examination is of three hours duration and there is negative marking. The assessment is objective and free of human bias and subjectivity. The result of the entrance examination is declared within 24 hours and is computerized.
DM/M.Ch Courses: Selection of candidates is made on the basis of suitably designed MCQ type theory paper. Theory examination is of one and half-hour duration. There is negative marking for wrong answers.
MDS Course: Selection of candidates is made on the basis of theory examination consisting of 100 multiple-choice questions. The duration of examination is one and half-hours.
PGIMER 2012 Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants who would like to apply for PGIMER 2012 should fulfil the following eligibility criteria.
- Applicant should be citizen of India
- Candidates should have passed MBBS degree from recognised medical college to become eligible for admission to post graduate Medical courses.
- Candidates who have obtained registration from state Medical Council or Medical council of India are also eligible for appearing in PGIMER 2012.
- Students who are yet to complete their internship can also apply for PGIMER 2012 provided they produced the certificate from Dean of the college about the completion of internship at the time of admission.
- Candidates who would like appear for DM courses should have passed MD degree in medicine or paediatrics.
PGIMER 2012 Exam Pattern
The PGIMER 2012 comprises of 250 Multiple Type Objective Questions with maximum of 100 marks. The question paper cover the all the subjects of MBBS course and time duration of the exam is three hours. There is negative marking for marking wrong answers.
PGIMER Contact Details
Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research
Sector-12, Chandigarh PIN- 160012, INDIA
Phone: EPBAX: 0091-172-2746018, 2756565,
Fax: 0091-172-2744401, 2745078